Thursday, June 19, 2014

Intense Maintenance

I broke a rule Monday night totally accidentally & in my own defense it is a relatively new rule for us & even Clark forgot that it was an official rule...,.its a rule we made about keeping him in the loop where our children are concerned, for example if one of them wanted to go somewhere rather than me just saying yes or no I should talk to Clark and we should make the decision together, or if I get an email from a teacher whatever is in the email I need to disclose ASAP.  All of this may sound like a no brainer but we had gotten into the habit of me being the one that handled pretty much all the "kid related" stuff and sometimes that meant that Clark was left totally in the dark and many times it caused tension and arguments even after we started DD.  So recently we revamped our rules & that one got added.  
So back to my story, I broke the rule accidentally, it was a matter of me not remembering the rule & so I gave our son the green light to stop (quickly) for ice cream on his way home-he was coming home to finish some school related work that he had been putting off & it had to be done that night.  I told Clark what our son had asked & that I told him to be fast.  Initially Clark seemed ok about it but what should have been a 15-20 minute stop ended up to be an hour so Clark got really upset & since I was the one who let him go the aggravation/anger was directed at me.  I apologized but he wasn't really ready to hear it & said we would talk later which I thought meant I was in trouble.  Once our son was busy upstairs doing the pending assignments I sat quietly and waited for him to "sentence" me.  Instead, he started talking & said something very hurtful, it was a direct hit to my heart.  Tears sprang to my eyes instantly & I felt like I couldn't breath.  I just stood up and went to the kitchen & began to prepare food, he came in a few minutes later, rubbed my shoulders & kissed the top of my head so I really thought he was going to apologize for what he said, but he didn't.  I asked him how much trouble I was in and he got upset all over again saying he was just so aggravated that he couldn't even think about what it "fell under" (meaning he couldn't think of which one of the 5 D's this offense fell under).  I said okay & I apologized again.  He said he knew I was sorry but he was still upset, he said "I really thought we were on the same page but then you just let him go do something fun before getting his work done, work that should have been done a long time ago but he waited until the last minute to do!" And he walked away.  I understood why he was upset and I felt badly about having let him down, but I was still very hurt and upset about what he had said.  I finished making the food & served him in the living room then went back to the kitchen to clean up.  The more I thought about what he said the more upset I got until I felt like I would burst into tears at any second.  When he finished eating he came in to find me. "Are you ok?  You have been very quiet & you don't seem like yourself" he said.  Not stopping what I was doing I said "I'm ok." But it wasn't very convincing.  "I know you feel bad, but this seems like something more than that." He said. Still moving around busily I answered,  "I said I'm ok.  I don't really want to talk about this".  "Well I'm sorry Babygirl, but we need to talk". He replied, "well I don't want to" I insisted "I'm not ready" I threw in hoping he would let it go-I am still struggling a bit with being vulnerable to Clark when he has hurt my feelings, I really hate to cry in front of him at times like this because it makes me feel weak-I know that isn't really right of me to feel that way and it's nothing Clark has done to make me feel that way, but I haven't figured out how to change it yet.  "I want to respect your feelings and give you some space but first I need to know what it is that has you so upset.  Stop what you are doing and tell me what it is." He said firmly.  I tried to keep moving, I could feel the tears dangerously close to spilling out & I was fighting them hard "Scarlet O'Harra Kent!  Stop what you are doing and talk to me right NOW." He said very sternly.  "I don't...I can't..." I choked out as the tears started falling.  He stepped toward me and tried to pull me in for a hug.  "No," I said putting my hand up  " please don't touch me right now" being touched when I am crying just makes the floodgates open up. He stopped but said "Scarlet, I want to hold you, I want to comfort you. I need to comfort you." Tears rolling down I said "I don't want you to comfort me!  You said....you said.,.you said I was 'not a mom I was just his friend'!"  He looked shocked & said "what?? I said what??  That is NOT what I meant Scarlet!  I would never....I was really upset and I must have just mixed up my words.  What I said was not at ALL what I meant to say."  Let me just say that there are not many things that I feel confident in but being a mother is one of them (most of the time) it's very much attached to my identity, my sense of self worth, and to have him say what he said had been a direct hit to my heart. "What I meant to say was that he needs you to be his mom at times like these , not his friend.  I know you are both now that he is older, but all I meant to say was that you needed to be 'just a mom not a friend', but I was flustered and hungry and it came out backward without me even knowing it and I am so sorry.  I never meant to hurt you.  I feel sick that I said that and that you thought I meant that.  I think you are a wonderfull mother-you know that babygirl." I did let him hold me then & I cried on his chest.  We talked some more and revisited the fact that what caused all of this was the rule break, so a consequence was needed.  However, Clark felt that because of the miscommunication a punishment spanking would be too much, "tomorrow night you will get an extra maintenance session because I do want to enforce the rule, it will be intense maintenance but not a punishment because I made a mistake also and I was careless with my words.  I expect you to be careful of your words upset or not and I am not above that expectation." 
The maintenance was very intense, but Clark was very careful with his words as he lectured and reassured me, before, during, and after the spanking.  Even Heads of Households make mistakes-we are all only human.  We both felt better and more connected afterward, I was a little sore but my heart felt light ; )

16 comments:

  1. Hey Scarlet...I am sorry you two had such a hurtful misunderstanding and am happy to hear that you two have straightened everything out. I know Clark's words hurt you but to tell him you're fine rather than what was upsetting you is violating one of the D's (deceitful). In my opinion, you two are really doing well and working hard to make TTWD work for you.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cat,
      Yes, you are right-it wasn't the best way for me to handle how I was feeling. I am lucky that Clark gave me some leeway-we have a clause that is really for situations like this where I can ask to have 15 min to try to calm down if I feel like I am not ready to speak respectfully or in this case less emotionally & although I didn't formally ask for it he decided to view this situation as though I did ask. He chose to focus on the fact that even though I got my feeling hurt I didn't "attack" him back (something I did a lot pre DD). I have zero poker face so he can always tell right away when I am upset about something & since I did end up telling him why I was so upset within minutes of when he asked he let the distancing/dishonesty slide. I am a lucky girl, but next time I will try harder to talk to him sooner when I am upset.
      Love,
      Scarlet ; )

      Delete
  2. Ahhh...I totally get it...I tend to get ultra-defensive if I feel like my mothering is being criticized in any way. And sometimes, there's a valid point that he's trying to make that I can't even hear because my feathers automatically get ruffled. It's something that I am working on too...listening to what he's REALLY trying to say before jumping down his throat. Easier said than done, for sure, but it's important! Glad that you are feeling better now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I am so guilty of that also! This time I managed not to fly off the handle and be disrespectful and Clark was really proud of that progress, so he overlooked the distancing this time since it wasn't very long that I went in to my prosessing/retreat mode. Thanks!
      Love,
      Scarlet ; )

      Delete
  3. Barney and I had a 'thing' this morning. I started out by commenting curtly and he 'flew' off the handle ( for him..not by most standards) and things went down hill from there. Sure I broke a rule but we know life isn't that simple. He did apologize later after we were in our room and he was about to punish me..he decided against it as he said, " he could have handled things better at the time too"

    ANYWAY, for the tears and the hugging. I get it..I so get it. I remember at the start of Dd I said to Barney " I hate being crying, tear girl" He gently wiped one away and said, " I don't know I kinda like her. She makes me feel like I am needed." And they do Scarlet. Even if sometimes they make our men feel badly about their actions, tears make them realize we aren't as 'tough' on the interior as we like to portray out the outside. Another time during a crying session, Barney said, " Sometimes I forget how fragile you really are". It isn't a bad thing Scarlet. It is a scary thing, but not a bad thing.

    It does get easier to let their touch melt your exterior. LOL...almost like when you actually get to WORK with your contractions during labour as opposed to fight them and you can push. I really do understand how scary it can be to put yourself out there- but that is the point right? You can do it - says the girl who does it like 10% of the time lately! WE can do it!

    As for distancing...some times processing can seem that way. The great thing is Clark seemed to know that you needed him to push you. Happy that you managed to get to a place you both needed.

    Good luck remembering that rule. I am BAD at remembering that one too! And yes we have it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clark calls it "tough girl" mode and usually tries to use gentle humor to coax the tough girl front away since he knows how hard it is for me to let her go on my own. He has gotten really good at pushing me to let my soft underbelly show-as scary as that is for me I do know it's for the best, it's just that I usually don't feel that way right away it takes time for me to process and then I can see the whole picture. But I am glad he doesn't give up on me & he gave me credit for not "flipping out & attacking him back". I did try yo hold back my hurt feeling but I didn't try to hurt him back & we both felt really good about that-it's the small victories right?
      Thanks for reminding me that I am not alone in this struggle with vulnerability struggle, I really appreciate the support!
      Glad Barney decided not to punish in your situation, I love it when the occational mercy card is played!
      Love,
      Scarlet ; )

      Delete
  4. Oh, Scarlet. I do that distancing thing too. I usually get a couple of quick swats for the distance then he tries again. So glad you were both able to talk it out. BIG HUGS!!
    Sass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if he had swatted me even once I would have been crying right away-but then maybe there wouldn't have been as much time for me to think & obsess & get myself as worked up-it's all a learning process right?
      Thanks so much for the hugs!
      Love,
      Scarlet ; )

      Delete
  5. We don't have that as an official rule, but I have definitely been reprimanded for not keeping my husband in the loop enough about the kids activities, etc. I think you're right-- it makes sense because we have been primary caregivers and we're used to taking the responsibility, but they don't like being left in the dark...

    Sounds like you worked it out beautifully. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by Renee! That is exactly right, I have been the primary care giver & that is why I used to just go ahead and take care of those things on my own-but no, he didn't like being in the dark at all! Thanks so much for your kind words!
      Scarlet ; )

      Delete
  6. It is the most humbling thing when The Man is "man" enough to say, I made a mistake, or we both had a part to play in this fiasco. Good for Clark...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Dana exactly! I am so glad & lucky, that he is able to look at the whole overall situation & not just the part where I did wrong. That is why he is my "Superman"!
      Thanks!
      Love,
      Scarlet ; )

      Delete
  7. Hi Singing Heart Mama
    I'm fairly new to blogland, got here through Stormy and Finding Sara. Just wanted to tell you your blog is great. What you write has honesty and integrity and I hope it carries on bringing you joy. You deserve it for showing your "under-belly"!!!

    BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black bird,
      What a beautiful complement, thank you so much! I am glad you came by, I have been on the "edge" of this community making comments but not fully feeling like I was a part of the group, but the people here have been nothing but supportive and encouraging!
      I look forward to getting to know you better!
      Love,
      Scarlet ; )

      Delete
    2. What??? Not apart of the group?! I hope you no longer feel that way. You are very much apart of us. :)

      I love this post for a couple of reasons. You didn't sugar coat it. You admitted (to us and Clark) that you broke a rule. Your feelings were hurt and you said you didn't want to talk about it. Yep there was some distancing, but Clark didn't let you distance very far. Then you were honest with him, he saw clearly what was upsetting you, he apologized, you 2 talked and worked it out.
      I just love it, because it (the tiff) didn't go on and on. It didn't dwell. You 2 worked it out, had extra maintenance and now all is well.
      I know I'm rambling, but in short (*ahem) you worked it out without making it bigger than it needed to be. You felt the light feeling. :)
      Good for both of ya!

      Delete
    3. Thank you Sarah,
      I guess I felt like since I didn't have a blog I was taking more than giving if that makes sense? In my "real life" I am very much a giver/care taker. I am so happy to be a part of this wonderful community-the acceptance & support is almost overwhelming because it is so strong!

      Thank you so much for stopping by & for your beautiful words-they really mean a lot!
      Love,
      Scarlet ; )

      Delete