Friday, July 11, 2014

Feeling like a failure

When I was younger some bad things happened to me that should never happen to anyone but unfortunately they do-they happen all the time.  These things happened so long ago that it almost feels like a different life time, and yet these things still effect me.  They still effect my husband, and he has to deal with it even though he had no part in it at all.  This makes me feel weak, and angry and like a failure.  It is something that I have been working on & Clark has been trying to help me with the whole time we have been together & there are some days where I feel I have come a long way.  But, there are other times that I feel like I haven't improved one little bit, and again I feel like I am failing to move on.  These horrible moments usually hit me when Clark and I are being intimate.  The worst part is that I usually have no idea that it is coming & then my demons come for me & make me feel like I am that scared kid again and lock me up inside my own head and I just cannot manage to give Clark a heads up, everything is fine and then I am sobbing, sometimes babbling incoherently, and he is left, as he puts it "like a deer in headlights" at least for a few seconds until his inner superman kicks in & then he is calming, comforting, & holding me.  Talking to & gently pulling me back to him.  But when I am back to him mentally & I look at him  & see the look in his eyes; one of sorrow & a bit of helplessness, I feel that terrible sick feeling in my belly that I have let him down.  I have ruined our intimate moment by allowing my past to creep up on me & crash our party.  I am angry with myself for letting these old experiences paralyze me. I know he doesn't feel this way about the situation, far from it!  He tells me that he loves me and we will work through/get through it together, he tells me he is proud of how far I have come & that he knows I can overcome this & he will do whatever he can to help me.  I also know that if another woman-even a random stranger I just met told me she felt this way I would tell her that she was being way too hard on herself.  I would tell her she needed to forgive herself & trust her man.  I know these things are the right way to look at & deal with this.  I just cannot seem to truly forgive myself for being a kid, for ignoring my first instinct, for being scared, for not being able to stop it, and most importantly for not being able to get over it.  I have talked to a counselor about this (but it was long ago).  I have talked to my husband, I have talked to my "real life" best friend "Dove", and I have talked to my new friend Sass.  Sass has helped me to make some headway that I have been unable to make in the past 23 years and for that I am so very thankful.  She suggested something that no one else has thought to suggest up to now and I am working on taking her up on her suggestion.  I have talked it over with Clark and he is on board, I know I can talk it over with Sass, or Dove even, anytime I need a listening ear.  It will not be a short road but it will be worth it in the end if I can finally stop feeling like a failure.  

18 comments:

  1. Oh, scarlet, you wrote about this beautifully. Even though we have talked about this a few times, you were able to bring me inside your struggle, your getting there, heck so am i. thanks for considering me worthy of your trust and past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, for so many things but mainly just for being you! I feel like I could talk to you for a week straight and not run out of things to talk about lol! I feel like I can move forward in a way I hadn't thought of before-thank you for pointing me in this direction.
      Love,
      Scarlet ; )

      Delete
  2. I am sorry this has happened to you. Another blogger and friend shares very similar feelings with you Scarlet, because of her experiences as a child. I hope in time you will trust her too. She is a wonderful woman and has made remarkable progress in the almost 2 years I have known her.

    I am happy for you that Sass could reach you! Perhaps you have been able to let her in a bit more than others because she knows all of your other vulnerabilities and desires.

    While I have fortunately not experienced what I am assuming you did as a child, I had made some very poor decisions as a teen and early adult that brought me to places I shouldn't have gone. Situations that could have been avoided. Since starting ttwd, episodes and flashes have occurred. Some I am not even sure if they are dreams or reality of those situations. What I do know is that they take hostage of my emotions and my reactions. This usually happens during or right after sex. Just yesterday I started to silently sob after. Normally I have a coherent thought that accompanies these tears, like loneliness, or that I am 'just a vessel', but yesterday I did not. Barney usually freezes for a moment, I think he is searching his mind for what he did, and then tries his best to comfort me.

    I will not pretend that my experiences are anything like yours. I just want you to know that I think you are very brave for sharing. Very brave for being vulnerable to us.

    I hope whatever Sass suggested gives you the lift you need.

    Much love
    willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Willie,
      I had some experiences like what you are discribing as well, the other things I had been through made me feel like I couldn't or didn't have the right to say no even when I didn't want to, or if something was painful- this has been a very big struggle with Clark. The "deer in the headlights" moments for Clark are where he like Barney, is trying to figure out what he did before he realizes it wasn't really him. I am working on my vulnerablity slowly but surely- I will get there!
      Thanks for your encouragement & don't down play what you went through-if it is still hurting you then it's just as important to have support & encouragement to work through.
      Love,
      Scarlet ; )

      Delete
  3. Dear Singing Heart Mama,

    I am new to following your blog, but had to tell you that I am rooting for you!!!! You are brave and you are definitely healing. You are healing because you can write and talk about it. I can only tell you from experience that there really is light at the end of that dark tunnel. Keep walking, writing and crying if necessary until you make it to the other side, with your Superman holding you every step of the way.

    Annie B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your support Annie B! I am sure there will be many more tears but I am feeling more optimistic than I have in awhile & I am trying very hard to run toward Clark/superman & trying to push myself not to shut him out emotionally. In these types of situations I don't physically run away from him but I have been guilty of retreating emotionally-so not helpful to either of us-but I am getting better. I look forward to getting to know you better!
      Love,
      Scarlet ; )

      Delete
  4. Hey sweet Scarlet...I am so happy to hear that whatever advice Sass is giving you is helping...you have said everything to yourself that I would have said to you. Sending lots of prayers, healing energy and positive thoughts! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat! Wow-I will take that as a total complement because your comments are always so inspiring & full of wisdom ; )
      It's slow progress, but it IS progress so I feel good about that.
      Love,
      Scarlet ; )

      Delete
  5. Hey Scarlet, you are not alone in this - and I though I don't know you well (yet), I have to say how proud I am of you for sharing this. It really does help to let others shoulder your burdens - and though there are still some things you are working through, you've got a wonderful husband and dear friends right there with you (I'm so glad for you). And now all of us too. :)
    hugs,
    Cali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cali,
      I really appreciate your encouragement & you are right, it does help to let others in. I look forward to is getting to know each other better!
      Love,
      Scarlet ; )

      Delete
  6. Scarlet,
    Sharing difficult times and experiences can be rough. Lean into your hubby and we will be there for you.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meredith,
      You are right-it is very hard for me to share at times but Clark is wonderful & very patient & I am trying very hard to go to him rather than retreating behind my "safety walls"....
      Love,
      Scarlet ; )

      Delete
  7. I am so sorry you have to deal with this, it is hard at best.
    It is an amazing thing to have people that can help you process your past. You will make it through it, you will be stronger, you will overcome this burden that was so unfairly put upon you.
    I can not say that I have been through the same things as I know there are many different ways a child can be abused but I can say that as grown women are determined people. We refuse to give up. We are strong and we are willing to fight for the life we so dearly desire and deserve. It is so much easier to do with your HOH at the helm I have found. It has only been months for me as well but I can see many changes going on and memories coming back to me. When you begin to relax and let your guard down the past begins to come up. I am learning to take it a piece at a time. Sometimes the work is slower than others but keep moving forward.
    I am happy to chat if you ever want. Meanwhile, praying for peace in your hearts and home. May your journey through your muck be swift and may your HOH lead the way.
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alice,
      You are right on there, this has always been an issue for me but it has happened more since starting DD because of the level of vulnerability I am taken to now being so much deeper than it ever was before. I will keep pushing forward and leaning on Clark for support. I look forward to us getting to know each other better.
      Love,
      Scarlet ; )

      Delete
  8. Oh wow! How brave of you to post this. I'm so glad you have Sass. And I hope her suggestion works out well for you. I'm also super glad your husband is so great. That makes such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah,
      I am so blessed to have such a great man, and friends to help me to work through this, as well as any other obsticals that may come my way. Thanks so much for your support and encorragement- it really means a lot to me!
      Love,
      Scarlet ; )

      Delete
  9. I think you would be shocked at how many of us share very similar backgrounds. I am like you, the worst is when it comes unaware, and when I come back to myself, The Man is so very sad. We have been married for 12 years, and sometimes it still gets me, but ya know, the times between are longer and the bounce back isn't nearly as long. Be kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so sad & a bit terrifying to me that there are so many of us who have been through something like this-having two daughters makes it especially terrifying to me-how do I keep them safe? How do I teach them to trust their instincts when I did not? At least I know I am not alone in this quest, my quest to get better as well as my quest to protect my children. I have found that since starting DD I have had more episodes & I feel like the reason for that is the increased vulnerability, the fact that I have let crumble my "safety walls" and Clark is not willing to let me go and hide anymore-it is a wonderful thing really, breaking down those walls, but it's scary also. Thankfully, he is very patient & I am trying to learn to me patient with myself. I really appreciate all of the support I receive here in addition to my husband & friends-you are all truly a blessing! Thank you for taking the time to let me know I am not alone in my struggle.
      Love,
      Scarlet ; )

      Delete